Ullsteinhaus Extension and Refurbishment
Berlin - Tempelhof
In collaboration with Löscher & Böckmann Architekten
Alessandro Cugola, Francesca Esposito, Martino Pacchetti, Minho Park
At the time of its completion in 1926, the former print-house was the tallest building in Germany and a masterpiece of both architecture and engineering.
The proposed addition sets out to complete the original scheme for Ulsteinhaus by architect Eugen Georg Schmohl, left unfinished due to his untimely death. Using a light steel frame clad with an energy efficient double skin that delicately recalls the existing facade details of the original building. The light new volumes of white steel and transparent glass are highly legible against the much darker brick facade. The new addition is not simply a copy of what was originally proposed, but a response to the scheme rigorously worked through using modern construction techniques, technologies and materials.